The Kansas Treasurer's Office provides interesting statistics concerning the state's unclaimed property division and its various accomplishments.
- More than $132 million has been returned in over 30 years
- The largest single claim ever returned in Kansas was over $340,000
- 2009 was a record year for the state treasurer; more than 38,000 claims were handled totaling over $11 million... They saw a 20% increase in claims.
- At the Kansas state fair thousands of people found property.
- They are doing a special outreach for military veterans to find their property and are working with local VFW chapters to actively seek out soldiers looking for cash.
- The division only has 8 staff members.
- Currently, they have over $200 million of unclaimed property waiting for the owners, and an additional $20 million is added each and every year.
- Online searches are free at the state treasurer's office.